August 2, 2020

Tough week

Okay, so a LOT has happened in the last week.

Last week I had a good day in the hammock.

Two days after that, I had a couple of bad days that had my oncology concerned enough that they had me come in for labs and blood work. Turns out my results were bad enough that I needed a transfusion of one unit of blood last week. Then, a few days later, I woke up with the taste of blood in my throat. Evidently, a side effect of one of my meds can be bloody nose. But the thing was, it wasn't just a bloody nose.

It was a gusher.

When I say gusher, I do in fact mean that when The Husband saw it, we both knew immediately it was an emergency. We called the overnight on-call oncologist, who said in no uncertain terms that it was time to go to the ER right now.

The nearest hospital is almost thirty minutes away, and my nose gushed like a fountain the entire ride there. Luckily, there was nobody else there, so they saw me right away. Also, do you know how much more frightening the ER is when The Husband is not allowed in? Eventually, it stopped on its own, so I was able to go home (at 4 am). They did more blood work before letting me go, and said I would probably need another transfusion within a day or so. So we left messages for my oncology team to get my chart and notes sent over right away. First thing the next morning, my team got me in for more blood tests, and then scheduled my transfusion for the next morning. It would be a 6+hour process. Again, The Husband was not allowed in with me.

I don't know if any of you have ever needed a transfusion, but it is an exhausting process. I don't know why, but I can tell you that I basically slept for three days. Every time I closed my eyes for 5 minutes, I slept for 6 hours. Then I'd wake up hungry, then I'd close my eyes, and another 6 hours gone to dreamworld.

And suddenly, this morning, I woke up.

Alert.

Motivated.

Feeling almost strong. I guess it takes a few days to assimilate other people's blood? I don't know, but after having what might have been the worst week I've had in a long time, I suddenly feel kind of okay.

Knock on wood.

1 comment: