July 11, 2020

Spoon Theory and being an Introvert

The other day, I forgot for just a little while, to keep track of my spoons. If you are not familiar with Spoon Theory, I strongly recommend you click through the link here. It's not very long, and it may explain quite a lot if you know or are close with someone dealing with chronic illness. Go ahead. Click the link and do some reading.
Okay, ready? Let's talk about spoons.

Before all of this, I was aware of spoon theory, but I was oh so lucky. I didn't actually have to keep that close a count on my spoons.

It's really quite incredible how brain surgery, radiation, chemo, and all the rest steal your spoons before you even know what happened. This damn spoon thief -- just wow.

Some mornings, I wake up, slowly, sluggishly, and I can just tell that putting my feet on the floor is going to cost me. And some mornings, I wake up feeling full of inspiration and energy, feeling like maybe the spoon thief forgot to get me while I was asleep, and I start with three extra spoons for no particular reason. When I wake up with those glorious extra spoons, I have to take advantage when I can, because who even knows when that will happen again.

So, the thing is, cancer fatigue is a real pain, because side effects of cancer, brain surgery, chemo, radiation, and all those pills also make it hard to predict just how quickly those spoons will slip through my fingers.

The simple act of writing my blog is absolutely exhausting and costs me more spoons than I care to admit. Writing a blog post might take me 30 minutes or it might take me three hours, and I have no way of knowing before I get started. By the time I'm finished and ready to post, I need to eat a snack, grab something to drink, and take a nap. Spoon count doesn't matter at that point: it takes brain power that is not in full supply to get these words out of my head. I love to write. I love to write so much, but at this point, writing feels like an athletic activity, most of the time. I am just always so tired.

While we are here, let's talk about being an introvert. There are conflicting theories out there about whether introversion or extroversion are really a real thing, but let me explain. Introversion does not mean being shy. It does not mean being quiet. Simply, introversion means that it costs energy (spoons) to be around certain people in social situations (parties I guess, what else did we do before quarantine?). For extroverts, they feel recharged being around people, so they gain spoons by being social around most people. For me, most social situations cost me spoons. That doesn't mean that I don't like and/or want to spend time with my friends, but I have to watch that spoon count.

So the other day, I talked with a couple of good friends on Zoom. After that I got to Skype with my oldest friend. By the time I finished talking with these friends about whom I care very deeply I was so tired and done that I proceeded to take a four hour nap. I only woke up because I was hungry, The Husband very kindly cooked a delicious dinner for me, but I still basically wasn't worth a damn the rest of the day. That was the reminder I didn't know I know I needed that it's not just about the spoons, but also keeping track of over-planning stuff for myself. I always feel so guilty for not keeping up with people, or having to cancel or bow out of my online social life, but I am just always so tired. So yeah, if you call or text me at any time of day or night, there is a solid 95% chance I'm just asleep. Gotta hoard those spoons.


1 comment: