June 17, 2020

Self care: not just about bubble baths and mani/pedis

It seems that many people equate self-care with treating or spoiling yourself. Buy yourself something pretty. Spend two hours in a hot (lukewarm) bubble bath. Paint your toenails.

Listen, I'm all about treating yourself, but just like I have a thing about being unashamed about mental health stuff, I have a thing about self-care not always being fun. The other day, for me, self-care looked like a too-short nap that left me cranky, taking medicines that I didn't want to take even though I knew it was for my own good, and going to physical therapy even though I didn't particularly feel like it. For me, sometimes self-care means venting because I feel whiny (luckily The Husband doesn't just leave me on the side of the road lol).

Self-care doesn't have to mean look on the bright side and ignore the bad stuff. Sometimes self-care means today sucks, let's try again tomorrow for something better. We can try to be positive all we want, but when things go sideways, we can't just pretend like it didn't happen. We have to be allowed to acknowledge the stuff that is no good. That doesn't make us bad. Sometimes self-care means you understand that timing matters. Now is not the time to have this conversation. Tomorrow I might be in a better emotional headspace to talk about that conversation. If I am not ready for it, I'm not. That has to be okay, right?

Today, self-care meant eating breakfast, writing some mail, and taking a walk because I was sore from physical therapy yesterday. It also means that I need to hydrate because that short walk made me sweaty.

Okay, take your Prozac, get some therapy, be kind to yourselves. Give yourselves grace, and be more forgiving of each other, but remember, nobody is going to look after your mental health for you. Take care of yourself. That's self-care.

That's all I got for now.

1 comment: