February 20, 2020

New and very important boundary

This is an important message to all of my close friends and family, especially those who know when my birthday is.

I am not going to say when it is, because I've made an important decision. As an adult, I've never liked making a big deal about my birthday, again, because most of my decisions are based on receiving the least amount of attention. It's the reason I had a not-so-traditional wedding. It's the reason I've not celebrated my birthday in public in years, and it's the reason I have a fake birthday set on FB that remains private, only visible to me, so that FB doesn't remind people about a day that I don't wish to be reminded about.

I say all of this because the anniversary of the day of my birth is coming up at some point in the next 2-9 months. If you know when my birthday is, and if you value our relationship at all, you will not share it, and you will not wish me felicidades. You will keep that date a secret.

This is a hard line for me. I have too much on my mind and in my brain to deal with birthday wishes. My mental health depends on those of you who know this secret to keep it secret.

Something I've learned as a cancer patient is that boundaries are important, but even more important are consequences.

There are those of you who will long to celebrate my birthday by announcing something on social media, unattached to this blog.


Do not do this.

There are those who might try to subtly and secretly let my "special day" be known for their friends, the family of those friends, and the friends of that family.


Do not do this.

Some of you will want to do something special for me, because in some deep morbid corner of your mind, you might be worried that it will be my last birthday.


Do not do this.

Anyone who wishes me a happy birthday, knowing that I am dealing with brain cancer, brain cancer treatments, possible surgeries, and the mental health costs that come with brain cancer will be blocked without prejudice. This includes my best friend from college, my sisters, the one co-worker who knows the day, The Husband, even my mother.

Y'all. I am not playing with this one.


Please, I beg of you, especially my beloved family and friends who know when my birthday is: Pretend you don't. My mental health depends on it.

5 comments:

  1. You bet. You deserve to set your own boundaries for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! And you're right. You need boundaries and people in your life that respects that!

    ReplyDelete