December 10, 2019

Flu season quarantine and the travel dilemma

Over the course of the last several months, I have had multiple invitations to visit friends and family, as well as multiple offers to have friends and family to visit me. While I love to travel, I don't know yet if I am allowed to fly; remember, I have a piece of skull cut out of my head (the so-called brainhole) which may affect my ability to fly. In addition, because I am on chemotherapy, I am immunocompromised. So even if I were allowed to fly to visit my friends, I'd be worried about catching some germ or the other, because I have gotten sick EVERY time I have gotten on a plane, including catching the flu in Florida and a horrible sinus infection on the way to Italy.

According to the CDC, flu activity in South Carolina is high.

CDC flu data
The absolute last thing that I want to do is have cancer AND the flu. What this means is that, with the exception of one event I might attend in a couple of days, I am putting myself in voluntary quarantine. The only person allowed in my house is The Husband because he is cute and I love him. Anybody else is barred from visiting. I will not be hugging or even shaking hands with people.

While I would love to travel to see my friends all over the country, the Gofundme would have to be much more successful for that to be a possibility, and to be honest, I probably shouldn't be getting anywhere near any red or orange states in the image above for the time being.

At least for now, I have to settle for being a homebody. If you want to visit with me, download Skype. Text me. Email me. Just no hugs!


No comments:

Post a Comment