September 12, 2019

Still not a Cancer Cut

So guess what.

I cut my hair again!

I'm so cool, my air buds have wires!
Now, don't get too sad. This is not a cancer haircut, this is a shorter cooler haircut! Wanna know why I cut my hair shorter?

Look at this mess:
Call me Patches McGee!
The radiation oncologist told me that my hair would fall out in patches from the radiation. He wasn't kidding. Check this out:
This side is getting radiation. You can see my brainhole!
All the hair fell out on this side. The incision and brainhole are both pretty visible.

The other side was pretty patchy, and it all went gray because apparently brain surgery ages you? But I realized I could do a cool trick. I looked at The Husband and said, "Guess what I can do." He looked over at me (he should have known better) and I grabbed a clump of hair on the non-radiation side and it came out in a clump.

I thought it was funny!

He was less amused.

To be very clear: This is still NOT a cancer cut. This is because I was literally pulling my hair out because I thought it was amusing, and the only way to get me to quit was to shave it short enough that I can't grab on.

The first time my hair started falling out, I had some feelings that I didn't expect. This time, I also had feelings that I didn't expect, but they were different. It didn't feel like a reminder of my diagnosis. It felt like a bad joke, a prank played on me by radiation that was only supposed to affect "patchy" sides of my head, but then the patches got bigger, and the clumps just kept coming out (with my help, admittedly). But for some reason, I felt like it was funny. I laughed at the absurdity of my stupid hair, with which I've had a hate/hate relationship for as long as I can remember, and now my hair is all like:
Okay, I'm out.
I mean, this is so silly. So, please, do not feel sad for me. Don't feel pity for me. Honestly, this haircut is just as cool as the previous one, plus, it gives me an excuse to wear hats that some of you have so kindly sent me!

Hats are cool!

5 comments:

  1. Luv your approach to this all and continue to pray that u continue to have strength to positively get through this bump in the road. Luv ya and your cool hats ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stylin! I think it looks great! Love your writing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love u and ur not so funny humor. Steve hang in there. U guys are awesome!! GB

    ReplyDelete