September 18, 2019

Don't Read with Me: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

So, I found a book in my bookcase that looked interesting called The Eternal Ones.

The Amazon blurb says:

Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.
In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves, before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

In the very first sentence, we hear about New York. Four sentences into the blurb, we find out she has to flee to New York.

I am 97 pages into this book.

Guess where we are not.

The first 97 pages are full of cliches and stereotypes:
  • The gay best friend in a small country town who helps the protagonist make prom dresses. 
  • The God-fearing grandmother who believes the protagonist is possessed by a demon.
  • The semi-creepy clergy-man who seems just a hair over the line with his familiarity with the protagonist (a 17-year-old girl).
  • The protagonist describes herself as ugly, when the description is of an objectively pretty girl. 
97 pages in, and I still haven't reached the hook. I gave it 97 pages, and it very clearly feels like it is still in the introduction part. There's no hook yet. I do not have time to read 97 pages with no hook.

I have always said that Life is Too Short for Bad Books. The thing is, Life ALWAYS was Too Short for Bad Books, but now it is REALLY Too Short for Bad Books.

So.

I'm not finishing this book. If it sounds interesting to anyone (especially local), let me know and I'll give it to you. If no one wants it and you are not local, I'll mail it to you.

What book should I try next?


4 comments:

  1. Oh, also, it bothers the SHIT out of me that it is not a true Ouroboros on the cover. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't give it three more pages? Maybe that's when it gets good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig..!..:) 😆 lol. How about the book of job. It's my favorite. I love it when the he gets upset and God gives him love and respect for being honest about the situation. The other 2/3 men were telling him he was wrong

    ReplyDelete