August 22, 2019

Sometimes cancer is REALLY boring

I've got such great friends and family who ask after me, looking for updates and wondering how I'm doing, and sometimes it is really hard to answer because cancer is really boring.

I sleep a lot. I take my chemo every day. I have to make myself eat most days because chemo burps are terrible for the appetite. Every afternoon The Husband drives me to radiation. We try to figure out what to do for dinner (difficult because of aforementioned chemo burps). That's basically kind of it.

I am trying to add some structure to my life. Hopefully, soon, some people will be reading with me. I have the book and am hoping to start it this weekend?  

I tell people that my condition is currently boring, and I don't think they understand. Yes, I have chemo every day. Because the cancer is in my brain, it's not chemo like most people imagine. I'm not hooked up to an IV infusion. I don't have a port. My chemo takes almost no time out of my day because it is one (very nasty) pill. Seriously, I take a pill every day. That's my chemo. That's literally it.

Some days, the chemo makes me feel nauseated, but mostly it makes me burp and tastes really bad.
I know, not the most lady-like, but what can I say? That really is the most exciting part about the chemo. It's not even making my hair fall out. That's what the radiation is for.

Five days a week, I have a crazy-looking machine aimed at my head for 15 minutes. I don't see a laser, I don't glow in the dark, and I haven't gotten any superpowers. I don't feel it, but the machine is a little noisy. It makes a weird hum/whine that just doesn't sound right, but at this point, I'm mostly used to it. The most exciting part is that, since I can listen to music while I'm in there, I make a different playlist every day, depending on my mood.

That's it. It takes more time to drive to radiation than to be in radiation.

I know that sometimes people get concerned because I haven't updated lately, but seriously, there just isn't much to update. I sleep mostly. I eat. I get my treatment. I don't get quite enough exercise. I sleep some more.

Pretty boring, right?

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to our walk and coffee time tomorrow! Screw ladylike, and I really want to know if you get super powers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should put Lizzo on your playlist. Maybe we just need some coconut oil to spice up your life? Cant wait to start reading!

    https://youtu.be/3LPUllv_Uak

    ReplyDelete