August 9, 2019

GoFundMe Link, and don't be Dr. Google

The Husband has put together a GoFundMe for us. Right now, we aren't quite at risk of being homeless, but medical bills are mounting quickly, and I am still not working.

So, before I post the link to the GoFundMe, we need to talk.

We need to talk.


Most of you have gotten a certain version of my story. You may feel upset, betrayed, or disturbed by the version of the story that I have shared. I want you to know that while I have been truthful with you, some portions of the truth have been omitted.

This is not because I have been sitting here thinking about ways to keep my story from you, my dear friends and family. This is because on June 27th, I received my diagnosis. The trauma of receiving this diagnosis led to me screaming, actually screaming, and crying, for the entire rest of that day.


When something traumatic happens to you, you go through certain stages.

  • Denial
  • Anger
  • Bargaining
  • Depression
  • Acceptance

I tell you all of this because I want you to know that getting this diagnosis was traumatic. Because of my particular diagnosis, I had to go through these stages more quickly than others might, but that does not mean that I am truly at acceptance. I have, however, gotten to the point of accepting that I need to tell you the rest of the story.

So, dear readers, here's the rest of the story:

Remember: I said that because of my age, my health, and the fact that I have not had any seizures, the oncology team is confident that I can fight this. 


Bruce Lee preparing to fight.


On June 27th, I found out the name of the tumor that the rockstar neurosurgeon took out of my brain. I found out that this particular type of tumor is incurable. I also found out that it is fightable

So when you look at the GoFundMe link, you will read my story, but you will also see pictures that may make you uncomfortable. I know that I don't like to look at them because they are frightening. The fact is that my tumor was a glioblastoma. From now on, we'll refer to it as the G-word, because I don't want to talk about it. It's only been six weeks.

Many of you will be tempted to visit Dr. Google to find more information about the G-word. I will give you the same warning that my oncologists gave me.

Don't. Just don't.


Some of you won't listen. I know you can feel your fingers itching to open a new tab so you can ask Dr. Google about the G-word.

Seriously, don't.


So, here's the thing. Dr. Google is not on my oncology team. My oncology team is very good, very smart, and all of their names have the letters M.D. after them. I am taking medical advice from my oncology team. I am only taking advice from my oncology team. In fact, just like my oncology team recommended, I have not checked Dr. Google about the G-word, and I will not discuss what Dr. Google has to say about the G-word under any circumstances. According to a few people I know who have checked Dr. Google, it was the opposite of helpful.

Bad idea. Shouldn't have done that.


So now that you know the whole truth, here's what I have to say, and it is important:

I know that you all have the best of intentions, and some of you will choose to check Dr. Google about the G-word, but that is your decision. It might make you feel bad, it might make you feel frightened, and it might make you feel upset. Even with your best of intentions, I need you to know that if you bring this negativity to me, I will not be sympathetic. Ultimately, it should not be my job to comfort you about my incurable (but fightable) cancer.

Positivity is so important, and it is proven that positive attitude and strong mental health have an effect on outcomes. I don't want to push anyone away, but I must protect my own mental and spiritual health above all else. Your support and kindness have helped me so much. Please continue to help to protect my mental and spiritual health as I fight for my physical health.


So that's it. That's the whole story.

Deep breath. Here we go: GoFundMe. Even if you cannot donate, you can share it with everyone you know and anyone you don't know!



1 comment: