July 31, 2019

Sometimes cancer is boring

Yeah, I have brain cancer.

Since I ended up in the hospital with a post-op infection just 2 days into my chemo/radiation, a lot has happened.

I needed a surgical procedure to clean out the infection. That meant another almost week in the hospital. We found out that I'm allergic to TWO different antibiotics.

I got sent home with a PICC line so that The Husband could give me my IV antibiotics at home. I was still having an allergic reaction to the oral antibiotic I was also taking. Essentially, I was a miserable mess, and honestly, I couldn't bring myself to do anything beyond take benadryl for the itching and sleep the rest of the days away.

I ended up back in the hospital (for the THIRD time) because my hand swelled up so much that it looked like I was wearing a boxing glove. They were worried I had a blood clot in my arm as a result of the PICC line. It was not a clot, but there was enough inflammation and swelling that they decided it was safer to remove the PICC line and just keep me in the hospital to administer the rest of the course of IV antibiotics.

Keep in mind, I found out my diagnosis on June 27. It has been just over a month. That is not a lot of time. I barely had time to start my chemo/radiation before the complications started piling up.

From the beginning, I wanted to be sure that I was still ME. That I was more than just that Cancer Lady. That I was More than my Diagnosis.

The truly frustrating part has been that I haven't even had the time to be more than my diagnosis, because these complications have stacked up so quickly. I've barely socialized. I haven't read a single book since this started. I haven't done anything besides be in and out of the hospital.

Do you know how boring it is to be in the hospital?

Please don't get me wrong: I do NOT want to have an exciting hospital stay, because I imagine excitement means that something went wrong. Nonetheless, when the single only reason I'm here is for IV antibiotics, there's not a whole lot else to do.

I still get tired easily, but that's the nature of recovering from brain surgery (twice). Since I can't really start treatment for the actual cancer, there is not much else to do besides wait for the antibiotics.

The weird part is that, overall, I feel pretty okay. The occasional headache, but that's to be expected when people have been all up in my brains. I don't feel like I have cancer. I don't feel like I have an infection. I don't feel like I have anything. It's disconcerting being in a hospital when you don't feel particularly sick. So, since all I seem to do is wait, that's all I'm doing for now.

Just you wait.

6 comments:

  1. I understand your boredom (from multiple stays with Billy). There is nothing exciting about a hospital room. We found Nintendo, PSP games helped. Sounds a little childish, but if it passes the time, all the better. Good thoughts and well wishes sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent most of my time playing games on my phone. It's really all I had the patience or attention span for :)

      Delete
  2. I can honestly say that I understand the boringness, having once spent 14 days in the hospital for IV antibiotics. Hang in there! Are you home, and up for a little visit? I’ll be in Clemson this afternoon and on Sunday or Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are around, we can definitely get together either tomorrow or Monday! Let me know :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Melissa. I know it's been years since we have spoken. I hope it is ok to reach out to you here. I (indirectly) can relate to what you have written here. My daughter who is now 2 yrs old started chemo for an inoperable heart tumor at 6 months old. In a matter of hours we went from thinking she was merely fighting a cold to being told she had a pericardial effusion and a tumor on her heart that was so large it was affecting her ability to breathe. Our lives were turned upside down. We spent many months off and on in-patient at the children's hospital. Life became so different in an instant. It was shocking to us and I understand the hardship. I just wanted you to know that me and my family are wishing you well and will support you in any way we can. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter had such hardship so early in life. Thank you so much for your support! I hope your daughter is doing better <3

      Delete