April 12, 2020

Original Poem: The Caregiver's Promise

My writing group had the following prompt a few weeks ago. Here is the poem I wrote.


The Caregiver's Promise
Courage, dear heart
be brave, my love
I know that we will shatter and crumble
but we will figure out what we are made of

Patience, dear heart
let me take the weight of this
I will hold you together
we have a diagnosis, but it doesn't have to consume all of our bliss

Peace, dear heart
sleep, knowing you are safe in my arms
cry if you need to
nestle into me, share my warmth

Courage, dear heart
sob, weep, wail, and moan
I know you fear being a burden
but you will never be alone

- 18 March 2020

1 comment:

  1. ..am i allowed to call you sometimes.? Whats weird is i thought i knew connection.until just now. It almost as if you are speaking solely to me and that is my selfishness or maybe not

    ReplyDelete