November 6, 2019

Don't Read with Me: The Rule of One by Ashley Saunders and Leslie Saunders


So I tried to read this book:
I thought the premise sounded really interesting, so I've had it on my wishlist for a while and a dear friend bought it for me.

Amazon has this to say about it:
In their world, telling the truth has become the most dangerous crime of all.
In the near-future United States, a one-child policy is ruthlessly enforced. Everyone follows the Rule of One. But Ava Goodwin, daughter of the head of the Texas Family Planning Division, has a secret—one her mother died to keep and her father has helped to hide for her entire life.
She has an identical twin sister, Mira.
For eighteen years Ava and Mira have lived as one, trading places day after day, maintaining an interchangeable existence down to the most telling detail. But when their charade is exposed, their worst nightmare begins. Now they must leave behind the father they love and fight for their lives.
Branded as traitors, hunted as fugitives, and pushed to discover just how far they’ll go in order to stay alive, Ava and Mira rush headlong into a terrifying unknown.
This book isn't bad, necessarily.  The reason I couldn't get more than a few pages into it was because it was too similar to a Netflix Original Movie What Happened to Monday


IMDB has this to say:
In a world where families are limited to one child due to overpopulation, a set of identical septuplets must avoid being put to a long sleep by the government and dangerous infighting while investigating the disappearance of one of their own. 
I watched this movie when it first came out, and easily dozens of times since then. I love this movie. I did not expect The Rule of One to remind me so much of What Happened to Monday, and so, I had to stop reading it and switch to something else. That's not to say that I won't read this book someday later, but for now, I'd rather re-watch this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment