March 23, 2020

A Love Letter to The Husband

As a note, I've joined a creative writing group. I have found myself inspired to write short pieces, poems, unstructured stream of consciousness pieces, highly-structured sonnets. I wrote this piece a couple of weeks ago, and I thought that today would be a nice day to share it.

The prompt for this piece was an image of a hand.

Untitled #1
my husband, my caregiver
strong hands, strong heart
protecting me with every fiber of his soul
holding me up when I am too weak to stand
dosing out my meds into my old-people-pill-box
my head hurts - the incision aches
his strong hands carefully clean the wound
mindfully protecting me from infection
those hands that I've memorized for twenty years
I know the story behind every scar, every blemish
those hands with their flaws embrace my own flaws
wiping away my tears, holding me close
I know that I could not be here if
I didn't have his strong hands, strong heart
holding the pieces of me together


4 comments: