August 27, 2019

Sometimes, It's the Little Things


Is it too soon for a new post? Eh, I hope not, because I have stuff to tell you!

Sometimes, it seems like talking about my diagnosis here involves talking so much about the mundane and the unpleasant parts. There are very few exciting or good parts about having brain cancer, and even though I spend a lot of time putting on the strong face, a lot of the time, that strong face is just a mask to get me through the day.

Yesterday, however, was a good day. The strong face was real, the smiles were genuine, and the laughter was contagious. The Husband made me laugh, the blood work came back all good, and the radiation therapists were jammin' to my Linkin Park playlist. It was a really good day.

And then.

The Husband asked if I wanted to see the sunflowers.
Do I want to see the sunflowers? YES.
I was already feeling a little tired from the radiation, and the radiation headache was just getting started, but I also love sunflowers. It was already a good day, and I thought to myself, "Self, there's only one way to make a good day even better."
Look at this beauty.

So we went to see the sunflowers. Rows upon rows of my absolute favorite flower, all buzzing with bumblebees all up in that pollen? Nectar? Whatever it is that bumblebees do, they were doing a lot of it!
All up in that bumblebee/sunflower love!

Now, generally, I don't tend to like flowers that much. There's nothing wrong with them, but I feel pretty indifferent about most flowers.

But sunflowers. They are so tall. So cheerful. They make me so happy.

Something as simple as taking an extra twenty minutes to drive to the sunflower field made such a difference. The Husband did not have to take me to see the sunflowers. In fact, I didn't even know about them, so The Husband didn't even have to mention that there were sunflower fields nearby. But The Husband is a good husband, and he knows how to make me smile.

Would I be happy if we won the lottery and were independently wealthy? Yes.

Would I be thrilled if healthcare were free? Well, obviously, because cancer is expensive!

Would I pass out from excitement if I suddenly got tickets to Hamilton with a chance to meet Lin-Manuel Miranda? Absolutely.
OMG.
But these things don't happen to people like me. And honestly, with something as crappy as brain cancer, I have to take the those small wins where I can. Getting to spend twenty minutes talking to the sunflowers and the bumblebees was a great way to end the day. It has been a long time since I had a day as good as yesterday. All thanks to The Husband and a bunch of sunflowers.


I love this guy!

4 comments:

  1. We love you both! Awesome work Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love sunflowers. I really like all plants, as you know from my office, but Sunflowers are special. So glad you had a good day. Thank you Husband for being so awesome. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Im so glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s great to take note of the good days. Sometimes it can feel like the bad days are endless, and returning to remember your good ones makes a huge difference! You got this.

    ReplyDelete