January 4, 2020

Books: The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers (Part 3)

I am still working on The Power of Myth, and today, I want to talk about a concept with which I've always been fascinated: beauty. Before I get to that, remember that last time, I talked about learning from our imperfections, and I examined the cycle of death and life and death again.


I've written term papers about beauty versus ugliness, and thought at length about the ramifications of the conventional Western beauty standard. This diagnosis of mine has changed me in so many ways, including in the way that I think about beauty. I've mentioned before that I don't consider myself to be vain, and I've discussed my hair at length. I still don't consider myself overly vain, but I will say that the way I think about beauty has changed a bit.

In the before, I used to consider beauty primarily in regards to the physical: people, faces, bodies. I found beauty in the written word, the shape of trees, the melody of my favorite songs. It simply hadn't occurred to me to deliberately consider the intangible beauty that can be found elsewhere.


Campbell discusses art and beauty.
"When a spider makes a beautiful web, the beauty comes out of the spider's nature. It's instinctive beauty. How much of the beauty of our own lives is about the beauty of being alive? How much of it is conscious and intentional" (Campbell and Moyers 100)?
In the world outside of us, there is so much beauty, and in the worlds within us, there lies beauty as well. There is beauty in reconnecting with old friends, even when the cause of this reconnecting is so very ugly. There is also beauty in meeting new friends, becoming part of a community through shared adversity.

I've felt such ugliness. When I was first diagnosed, I did not feel any beauty in being alive. I was devastated that this extraordinary life of mine had turned out to be so ugly. I tried to deny the truth of this diagnosis. I simply couldn't imagine living in a world where this was my reality.

My anger was all-encompassing.

I hated the world and everything in it. It was ugly, and I couldn't bear to be a part of a world that harbored this ugliness inside of me. I could find no beauty in being alive.

You have to understand, even when the emergency room doctor told me that there was a mass on my brain, I never once considered cancer. Even the word is ugly.

As time has passed, and I've had the unfortunate opportunity to become accustomed to this ugliness, I'm finding that there is a small but quiet change happening within me.

I still feel the ugliness inside of me. I am still angry.

Yet I have discovered some beauty. Not in my hair, and not in the bags under my eyes, but in the kindness and compassion of my friends, in the generosity of my family, the love of The Husband. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is not always so ugly. There is that ugliness inside of me, but there is also a nugget of something not quite so ugly hiding out in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment